Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sisterhood includes Laughs, Sun, Tears, and Fun

How thankful I am for my sisters. Some may be confused thinking that I don't have any sisters; that is true. Biologically, I don't have any sisters but I do have sisters of the heart. Ya know, those girlfriends that you know are there for you no matter what, support you in all, and love you as if you were biologically related. Well, I have a definite five of those and together, we make up the "Six Pack". We are Jessica, Courtney, Margaret, Huli, Jena, and myself. We all met in college at Winthrop University through FCA and Alpha Omega and have been the Pack since 2001. Some of us knew each other before this year but it was 2001 when we all came together and when you would see one of us, you would see all six! (Maybe a future post, I'll do a little Six Pack over the years post or something of the sort.) After graduating, most of us have stayed in the area and the one that didn't, is only an hour away. We have been through a lot together and have truly stood together and supported one another through it all. The love that I have for these precious sisters is like none other.


The first weekend in May of 2008 is likely one that we will always remember. Our sweet friend Courtney was to be married that Saturday and everyone was ecstatic for her and looking forward to this day. Well, about a month before the date of the wedding the groom decided to call off the wedding......you can imagine the hurt that our sweet friend has and continues to experience. The night of my birthday, most of us went to dinner and then went to see Courtney as this had all just happened. I'll never forget the love that was there amongst us as we just listened and prayed with our sweet friend. Already her faith has been a testimony to many as she has walked this journey. She has been incredibly strong and relied on the Lord day by day even though she doesn't completely understand. We are thankful for the works that He is performing in both she and Alex's life and continue to lift them up for whatever the future may hold.


All of this to say, the first weekend in May the Six Pack plus four other precious friends went to the beach for some fun in the sun, that included lots of laughs, precious prayers, and a few tears. This was a small way that we could still support and love our friend through a difficult time in her life; it was so good to all be together and reuniting with our dear Greek friend Allie whom we had not seen in a few years, and getting to know Ashley, Cami, and Kyra better. Our hearts were woven together with our concern for Courtney and the love of our great Father.



Allie, Kyra, Courtney, Huli, myself, and Jessica getting ready for a game of Win, Lose, or Draw


Cami, Ashley, Jena, and Margaret getting ready for some Win, Lose, or Draw


Cute one of Jessica and the Greek friend, aka Allie.


Paper...check, Markers...check, Timer...check, Clues...check



Some of the great artwork....can you tell what movie, song, people, place, or thing these represent?!?


WLD in action!!


Margaret's Melons beat Cami's Cookies


Margaret, Cami, Jessica, and I shared a room and the first night Jessica and I saw Margaret and Cami's unique sleeping positions. Both have to have one foot out, Margaret has "arm rests" on both sides and Cami hugs a pillow while lying on her back. LOL!


The Portrait


The special pancake Margaret made for Courtney. :O)


Cute one of Courtney and Margaret before heading to the beach.


All of us girls minus Huli before heading to the beach on day two.


A girl, our Greek friend, collecting seashells.....on the seashore.


Cami and her awesome kuzee a student had made for her....perfect for the beach.


All of the precious friends in front of PF Changs


Allie and her boys at the beach...yeah, we asked some random young boys if she could have her picture made with them. Of course they agreed!


One more group shot minus Kyra


Ashley, Kyra, and Courtney waiting on a table at Nibils for breakfast on the day we came home.


Jessica and I waiting outside of Nibils



What was written in the guest book and a great summary of our weekend.....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like chicken soup for the soul all wrapped up in a weekend. Great recap, Ash. You're a natural blogger, alright!

Donna said...

Yea! I'm glad your blog is up and running. Love the title, love the pics, the post, everything! What a fun girl get-a-way, too!!

Dolly said...

Great recap of your time with your girls! Like HPS said, Chicken soup for the soul!

Donna said...

I forgot to add that I didn't realize THAT was Courtney! I remember when I went to Jessica's shower, Courtney was so sweet to me. I didn't know many people there and she really made me feel welcome. Her ex is missing out!

Sarah said...

Glad you joined the blogging frenzy!
God truly does bless us through friends (sisters), doesn't He?!

Teecy said...

Ha! I should not be surprised that hps, donna, dolly and donna (again) are your first 4 comments on this post! They are regulars!
Cute post...I love those fun girly weekends!